Friday 17 September 2010

personal project part 2

I am finally ready to write the second part of my Personal Project story, well its more of a visual story so lots of photos.


I talked about how I was interested in creating a "decayed" surface to work on and how my experiments with image transfer I had discovered a quite exciting way to produce the look of old billboards and peeling advertisements. I wanted to use this as a metaphor for the tricks that memory can play on us. What we think we remember has changed and the details have been lost over time, also how we can misinterpret an event and weave this faulty myth into our psyche or personal story. Something overheard in childhood for instance that has a very profound on our idea of who we are or where we come from can be so easily misunderstood. If we never get round to discussing these events for whatever reason we may never truly understand who we are or where we come from.
I have just talked myself round in a circle and I am not sure I have made any sense, sorry if you are confused.







Here are the layers of image I was talking about that I peeled away before they were properly dry so that the edges decayed.





Whilst looking at the work of other textile artist I re-discovered Polly Binns and loved the way she used knots, I did some experimenting and really liked the way the long ends of the knots look like birds wings.



Here finally is what I did with my paper birds. Stuck them like specimens on to my quilt. On a purely visual level it adds another dimention to the piece. Metaphorically it represents all those conversations I would like to have and it also conveys how prickly and uncomfortable I find the sort of discussions I am talking about.



This is one of the most succesfull parts of the quilt, I really like the white paint around the edges of the transfers and the way the text and the face are layered.



Here is the quilt before I transported it to college to hang in the exhibition. After seeing it up I decided to cut away some of the acres of white fabric that I had left around the outside of the image area.

Below is the quilt and me at the exhibition.


By the way I decided to name the work,
"Words-half spoken and half remembered".


Thanks for looking.

Lots of Love

Christina

P.S.

Here is one more image, I was experimenting with lighting the piece to create shadows, in the end I decided that it was strong enough with out going that far but I really liked the way it took it to an even darker place.

xxxx



No comments: